If you are contemplating a startup and researching business plan templates, I need to warn you – most plans leave out a key-essential-priority-must-have-important section – technology. Most young companies try to limit their expenditures in that area, and that is a shame, since technology is an easy tool for start-ups to differentiate themselves from competitors. In this article, our Small Business IT Support will provide great insight relating to your budget.
Having a solid technology plan will not only quickly save you money across other areas, it will also put you on the path to success, give you an immediate edge, and leave your competition behind – out of the gate. Simply put – [Tweet “Technology is a critical component to a successful start-up”].
Small Business IT Support Cost Overview
Everyone plans on starting with laptops and computers, right? Since only 20% of the cost of computers are from the initial purchase, it is critical to get a business class system. The other 80% are indirect costs. Expect to pay $700 to $1,500 per unit. Don’t be tempted by the $200 to $400 home systems. Sure, they are cheaper up front but you’ll spend more time trying to keep them operating. Nothing is more frustrating to new start-up employees than malfunctioning computers. This emphasizes the importance of Small Business IT Support.
Normal Small Business IT Support Related Costs
Laptops/Tablets/Computers $700 to $1500 per person
Network Printer/Scanner $500 per office
Wireless Office $500 per office
Network hardware $1000 per office
Office digital phone system $400 per person
Internet (Business) $300 per month
Office digital phone service $60 per month
Applications/backup/support $400 per person per year
Server or cloud (if needed) $250 per month
Support services $40 per person per employee